There aren’t many rules in HoopDance class, but the few I have are pretty sacred. Please take a moment to familiarize yourself with our classroom etiquette.
– Aim to arrive at least 5 minutes before class. These few moments will allow you to change and mentally prepare to be present in your body with the group. If you do arrive late, stash your belongings and join the group as quickly as possible.
– No Street shoes on the studio floor. Only non-marking dance shoes that don’t touch the dirty city sidewalks are allowed on the dance floor. Please remove all other shoes as you enter the studio.
– No food allowed in the studio. Water highly recommended! It is also recommended to eat only lightly if at all 1 hour prior to class.
– If making up or taking a single class, kindly position yourself in the back of the room, especially if you are leveling up or down. You are welcome to ask questions, but please know that your answers may be abbreviated, and you may get modified material to work on, so as to maintain the overall flow of the series’ coursework. I am available for private coaching if I am unable to backtrack material you may have missed.
– Please silence all cellphones and leave any and all electronics with your belongings until class is over. Our time is so short together, your text messages, missed calls and status updates can wait!
– Please remain attentive when we split off into groups. If you are waiting your turn to dance the material, please respect the other hoopers who have the floor and remain silent or cheer them on. Observation is also key in learning, so please pay attention to cues that I give dancers while you watch. You may solve your own questions just by listening!
– Please do not correct other students in class. While I appreciate your understanding of the work, it is more distracting than helpful and complicates my teaching when my students are getting information from multiple sources. If you have a useful suggestion, you may bring it to me to consider.
– Please do not haggle for classes. My rates, terms and policies are set to afford proper dance studio space, and compensate my creative efforts. Though we may only spend 90 minutes together, your tuition pays for so many more hours of my time, between administration, self practice, programming, travel to and teaching classes. Please take responsibility for managing your own time and scheduling your make ups in advance whenever possible, and no more than two weeks of your missed class to redeem.
– Do not solicit your business in my class.
– When the hoop falls, we celebrate, “WHEEE!”
– Above all else, please keep in mind that we are dancing with Hula Hoops. We are all on a unique individual journey that is to be honored and celebrated by every person in class. Please maintain a supportive and non-competitive attitude not only to your peers, but to yourself. No one’s dance is perfect or meant to be so, it is simply meant to be our own. Own it!